First Baptist Church, Clifton was organized sometime in 1878 or 1879. (The 1934 minutes of the Meridian Baptist Association state that 1879 was the year when it was founded, while the cornerstone on the front of the Sanctuary says 1878). The church was started with nine members. This group met in the old rock schoolhouse near the east bank of the Bosque River. The church was located for a period of time on the West side of the river. Baptisms were held in the Bosque River. The church moved to the present location after the Baptist Ladies Aid Society helped raise money to purchase the land where the church resides now. The first sanctuary was used for nearly four decades, and in 1948, this building was torn down and a new building put up in its place.
A Growing Congregation
From the auspicious beginning, the church has grown across the years to become the largest church in Bosque County and a bedrock of faith for the community. As the numbers have expanded, the ministries have expanded and adapted with the times. Now, music, discipleship, and missions play an integral part in the ongoing ministry of the church.
The community of faith First Baptist Clifton continues to engage in missions throughout our state, nation and world wide. The church is vitally involved in mission endeavors from Clifton to Mexico, South America, Africa, Europe, and Asia. To use the words of William Carey, an early Baptist missionary, “Expect great things from God - attempt great things for God.” This phrase resonates as the heartbeat of a warm fellowship of God’s people called First Baptist Clifton